Legal Issues for Minors in Rocky River, OH

Initially, one might think that someone under 18 wouldn’t have any legal issues (other than juvenile delinquency), since they don’t have the ability to make contracts and their parents are responsible for them.  While that is true, there could be circumstances in a minor’s life that will have a legal impact on him or her.

For example, a minor’s parents may be traveling without the minor.  Provision should be made so that an adult can make decisions in case of a medical emergency.  A Consent to Treat Minor Children form can be prepared and given to the adult should the need arise.  Similarly, a minor may be traveling with an adult who is not the parent.  In this case the adult could be given a different Consent to Treat Minors form.

Perhaps the minor is fortunate to receive money or property as gift from someone either during their life, or because of their death. The default rule is that a guardianship would be established through the probate court.  There is a less restrictive way for the minor to receive property: a gift under the Uniform Transfer to Minors Act.  

If you are the one making the gift either during your life or upon your death we can help you set things up.  If it is your child that is receiving the property we can work with the donor to see if a guardianship can be avoided.

Loading Form...

We provide legal services to individuals and their businesses, primarily in the areas of Estate Planning (will, trusts, & powers of attorney), Probate, working with Small (closely held) Businesses, and Medicaid Planning.

Office Hours

Monday-Friday: 8:30am to 5pm

Saturday: By Appointment

Sunday: Closed

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer

Contact Info

You can always contact us via email or phone.

Location Icon | River LAw1154 Linda St.
Rocky River, OH 44116
Phone Icon | River Law (440) 331-0801
Email Icon

© , Farah, Roberts & Ganor, Ltd. Powered by Virteom Logo Virteom